Okay, so I know there is no such #tag but, after seeing Norrie’s post, 10 Binge Worthy TV Shows To Watch (and, as I had already posted my Top 5 Tuesday, yesterday) I though I would steal Norrie’s idea and do a post on my favourite Top 10 TV Shows of the moment. So, in no particular order:
- CARDINAL — A wholly Canadian show with two seasons down and a third coming this autumn. I can’t wait. This psychological police drama has been gripping viewing and, with only 6 episodes a season, tells a complete story. [Based on the series of books written by Giles Blunt.] Billy Campbell stars as John Cardinal, supported by Karine Vanasse as Det. Lise Delhorme.
- PRIVATE EYES — Another uniquely Canadian show about a PI, Angie Everett (Cindy Sampson) who takes on Matt Shade (Jason Priestley), an ex-hockey player as a partner, and they team up to solve crime together. A very funny comedy-drama.
- THE DETAIL — Okay, so I live in Canada, I watch a lot of Canadian TV. The Detail was another excellent, but short lived TV cop show that only got one season. Because, I suspect, it featured three female cops taking centre stage. I’m bummed it’s not been renewed as this was, once again, like Cardinal, an exceptionally well made, well acted, and well written show. It starred: Shenae Grimes-Beech, Wendy Crewson and Angela Griffin.
- SALVATION — Oh god, what can I say, this is sooo bad it’s good. I spend more time laughing at the absurdity of the show, and talking to the TV that my partner is wondering whether I should be committed or not. But seriously, this show is a DUD but … but I just can’t stop watching it to see what else they’ll get up to in the 160+ days Earth has left before an asteroid smashes into it! Pop-corn disaster show.
- TAKE TWO — Another PI, another comedy drama, but with two very likeable characters and feel-good episodes that are always full of laughs despite the serious content. Stars: Rachel Bilson as Sam Swift a fallen actress, and Eddie Cibrian as PI Eddie Valetik. [Sadly, I hear there is to be no season 2 from ABC.]
- CARTER — Okay, so I admit it I like TV cop shows that feature a lot of humour to off-set any dark topics. Carter stars Jerry O’Connell as Harley Carter, an actor who’s returned to the town where he grew up, teaming up with a couple of old friends, one of whom happens to be Det. Sam Shaw, played by Sydney Tamiia Poitier (yes, that Poitier) to solve crime. Lightweight and very funny.
- REVERIE — This is science fiction drama where, somewhere in the not too distant future, like, next week, someone has built a system whereby people can live out there fantasies while they are in a dream-state. Season one has been interesting. Sarah Shahi plays Mara Kint an ex-investigator, Sendhil Ramamurt plays programmer, Paul Hammond, and Dennis Haysbert plays Charlie Ventana as a security consultant.
- INSTINCT — Another cop show, with the wonderful Alan Cumming playing Dr. Dylan Reinhart, an ex-CIA operative working with Det. Lizzie Needham (Bojana Novakovic) of the NYPD, initially, to catch a serial killer.
- GREY’S ANATOMY — Yes, I know, this show has been on like, forever, and shows no sign of slowing down any time soon. Thankfully, Shondra Rhimes keeps changing members of the cast, and freshening up story lines. And you either love the show, or you hate it. I’ve stuck with it through good and bad times.
- THE GREAT BRITISH BAKING SHOW — Yes, I know, we have to have something light and fluffy in the list. And there’s nothing more gripping, more binge-worthy than this show. We are addicted. I mean it. We’re in the process of watching all 9 seasons in reverse order (I know, I’m weird) and are now in the middle of season 5. Epic stuff!
So there you go, these are my choices, what are your current favourites at the moment?