- 6 plum tomatoes, quartered
- 1 large red pepper, deseeded & sliced in strips
- 1 red onion, quartered
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar (or Worcestershire sauce)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 cups stock (veg or chicken)
- freshly ground black pepper
- Pre heat oven to 400, gas mark 6. Arrange the veg on a baking sheet, sprinkle minced garlic and balsamic vinegar over the veg.
- Cook the veg in the oven for 30-35 minutes till slightly charred.
- In a large pan, heat the oil and tomato paste over a medium heat for 3-4 minutes, add oregano and roasted veg, stock, bay leaves and pepper, bring to a boil. Cover and reduce to a simmer for 35 minutes.
- Let stand for 3-4 minutes, remove bay leaves before blending with a hand-blender till smooth.
- Serve with warm bread.
SERVES: 4 – 6