I thought to share one of my favourite go-to recipes with everyone. This one has many versions, and can be adapted to be spicier depending on your taste buds. Here is my ‘Italian’ version of this versatile pork dish
- 1 large onion, diced
- 8 oz pork pieces
- 1 tin diced or chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp oregano
- Fresh black pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp oil
- 4-6 oz pasta shapes of choice
- ½ cup water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, gas mark 5.
- In a large oven proof pan with lid, heat oil on medium high and cook onion till translucent.
- Remove onion, and cook pork pieces till browned.
- Return onion to pan and add all other ingredients, bring to a rapid boil, cover, and place in oven.
- Cook for approx. 90 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven, remove bay leaves and add pasta, mix thoroughly. Cover and return pan to oven.
- Cook for a further 25-30 minutes or until pasta is cooked.
SERVES: 4 — 6
NOTES: I hand blend the tinned tomatoes till smooth, this is a family preference.
Also, instead of oregano and the extra water, I spice this basic recipe up with 2 tbsp of sweet chilli sauce, and sliced, diced cucumber, then serve the chilli pork over rice. Give it a try, it’s delicious.