This is my adaptation of a fairly standard cacciatore recipe. And what makes it so easy is it’s a one pan meal that can be done on the stove top, fairly quickly.
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 chicken breast, cubed
- 1 onion, sliced
- 4-6oz sliced mushrooms
- 80ml red wine
- ½ cup orzo
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- tin chopped tom or jar tomatoes and basil
- 75ml chicken stock
- fresh ground black pepper
- Heat oil in large frying pan that has a lid. Cook chicken for 4-5 minutes till browned. Set aside and keep warm.
- Add onions and garlic to the chicken juices and cook till translucent 1-2 minutes. Add mushrooms, and cook for a further 1 min.
- Pour in red wine and bring to a rapid boil, and reduce by ½.
- Add oregano and bay leaf, and tomatoes, stir and mix thoroughly.
- Return chicken to pan, cover, and simmer for and 20 minutes.
- Lift lid and add orzo, cover and continue simmering for 7-8 minutes more.
- Serve hot with bread.
SERVES: 2 — 4