I’m sharing this one after a discussion on Twitter about how to make this. This, of course, is my mother’s recipe and the one we, as kids, loved. I hope you enjoy it too.
- Stale/day-old bread (approx 8 slices, halved)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 oz brown sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 2 oz butter
- ½ cup golden raisins or sultanas
- 2 apples, peeled, cored & sliced thinly
- cinnamon & nutmeg grated to taste
- Grease a 1 lt./2 pint oven-proof dish with a smear of butter. Preheat oven to 350 or gas mark 4.
- Layer buttered, sliced bread in the bottom of the dish, sprinkle with golden raisins, brown sugar, grated nutmeg & cinnamon, and a layer of apple.
- Create another layer of buttered bread on top of previous layer, and continue till the dish is full.
- Whisk eggs into milk and pour gently over the top of the bread layers. Leave to soak in for 4-5 minutes.
- Grate more nutmeg and cinnamon on top. Bake for 30-35 minutes or till golden brown and risen and surface feels firm to the touch.
NOTE: You can add any type of dried fruits, as you prefer, as well as pears, peaches, or blueberries. Some recipes call for cream as well as milk and eggs for a more rich taste.
SERVES: 4 – 6