This basic tomato sauce is easy to make and easy to adapt for so many tomato-based sauces, including bolognese and chilli.
- I large onion, diced
- 1 28 oz chopped tinned tomatoes
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp tomato sauce/ketchup
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tbsp crushed garlic
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- ADDITIONAL: 1 lb minced beef / 2 tbsp chilli powder / ½ tsp chilli flakes
- In a large saucepan sauté onion over a medium heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Add garlic and oregano and heat through for 1-2 minutes.
- If you are wanting a rich beef sauce, add your minced beef at this point, and cook on medium-high till browned, 4-5 minutes.
- Add chopped tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, tomato paste, tomato sauce, sugar and bay leaves.
- Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer for 40-45 minutes, till minced beef is thoroughly cooked. Otherwise 25-30 minutes if just the basic sauce.
- To turn into chilli, add 2 tbsp chilli powder when browning the minced beef, and ½ tsp of chilli flakes, to add a kick.