And why I still enjoy one aspect of Christmas, the giving and receiving of presents. Which for me, is usually books. This year is no exception, family and friends went all out and I have, amongst the presents I was gifted, six  new books!
I am one very happy recipient. What, oh, the books, yes, okay, I was getting to that. So what did I get? Some that I desperately wanted, and a couple of delightful surprises.
- THE RECKONING by James McGee — this is a historical murder-mystery set in London of 1813, about the a hunt for a serial killer murdering women. A Jack-the-Ripper of the day so to speak.
- THE MOSCOW DECEPTION by Karen Robards — a good old fashioned political (hopefully, fast paced) thriller that I have high hopes for.
- THE CALCULATING STARS by Mary Robinette Kowal — this is science fiction at what I hope is it’s best. As a group of female scientists and would-be astronauts look toward not just the moon, but beyond, to Mars. I am so looking forward to reading this one.
- THIRTEEN by Steve Cavanagh — having thoroughly enjoyed The Defence by Cavanagh, I immediately put Thirteen on my ‘Please Buy This For Me For Christmas List’. And someone did! I really like Eddie Flynn, my new fav anti-hero.
- THE BLACK KHAN by Ausma Zehanat Khan — this is the second in an Arabian Nights-style fantasy quartet. I’ve almost finished book one, having raced through it at breakneck speed. So of course I’m happy I received book two to carry straight on with the story!
- NOVEMBER ROAD by Lou Berney — a crime thriller set against the backdrop of JFK’s assassination, as an eye-witness to the assassination is on the run for his life.
And you, dear reader, did Santa bring you a haul of books?