Day #71: Early Morning Drama

We were woken at just before 6:30 this morning, by frantic banging on our apartment door. The elderly woman from the apartment opposite ours was in a full panic. Her husband had collapsed and was having difficulty breathing, so my partner, still in their PJs, grabbed their phone, shoved their feet in a pair of rain shoes (we keep them by the main door) and called both security, at the main desk, and then, 911.

Security was there in a matter of minutes, and got dressed (sensibly so) in a disposable gown, mask, gloves, and face shield, before entering the apartment. My dumb ass partner, who followed in, didn’t.

Sometimes, for one of the cleverest people I know, they can do the most silly things. They didn’t need to go inside, but they did. I know, like me, they so wanted to help. But there are, in this day and age, sad to say, dire consequences to not thinking something through before acting. And this was on of those times, were in action was called for—given the circumstances.

There was, after all, nothing more they could do to help, but get in the way, as the security guard assessed the situation further, given he was also in radio contact with his partner, at the main desk.

I am so thankful for the fact we live in a complex where they have security 24/7. And, for the most part, they seem to be people with a few more ounces of common sense than my partner.

Still! These things happen. No need to cry now at what happened, it happened and we did what we could to offer aid and assistance. I really don’t speak enough decent French to have been any real help in this situation.

The ambulance, and paramedics, arrived about 10 minutes later. Once they arrived on our floor, I herded my partner into the shower. A very hot shower. And washed everything down with lysol, before, during, and after.

Then put a load of washing on, on a hot wash.

I can only hope that the gentleman is doing okay, given he’s in the same hospital I was not two weeks ago. He’s in good hands there. They’ve got great protocols in place, and the staff there seem to know what they’re doing. For his, his wife, and for our sake, I hope this was either a heart attack, or a stroke, and not a result of the corona virus.

Sad to say, my first thought was I hope his wife hears he’s COVID negative and lets us know one way or the other, as well. Because, it’s now in the back of my mind, and I so want to force my partner to go and get tested!

Irrational? Probably, as their chance of catching it from just being in the same space, despite keeping their distance from all concerned, is slim to none, but still.

I will now be a bundle of nerves for the next couple of weeks, waiting.

So again, please, for all those you love and hold dear in your heart, please stay safe, stay home, and take care of you and yours, where ever you are in the world!


10 Comments Day #71: Early Morning Drama

  1. AvatarTonya R. Moore May 22, 2020 at 6:02 pm

    My goodness! What a way to start a day. Glad the gentleman survived. I hope he recovers soon.

    1. AlexAlex May 23, 2020 at 9:48 am

      Oh, you’re telling me, Tonya! We seem to attract the drama somehow. But, hopefully, he’s doing okay, and we’ll know something soon. Fingers crossed.

  2. AvatarSophie @BewareOfTheReader May 22, 2020 at 5:40 pm

    Well Alex I can understand your fear in these circumstances. I think I would have grabbed a mask and gloves but …who knows! I hope that man will be alright!

    1. AlexAlex May 23, 2020 at 9:46 am

      Thanks, Sophie. Yes, the sensible thing would have been to grab protective gear but then, we all react first and then, think afterwards. We haven’t heard any news, but hopefully the gent is doing okay.

  3. AvatarPaula Bardell-Hedley May 22, 2020 at 12:32 pm

    Not “irrational” at all under current circumstances. I can understand why your partner reacted the way they did – I expect the adrenalin kicked in and the panicking neighbour made it difficult to keep a distance – but I completely understand your worries (I’m overly protective with my partner following her cancer and the ongoing treatment). Anyhow, you did all the right things. I’m sure all will be well, but I’m aware that my saying so won’t alleviate your concerns. Is it easy to a have a test? If so, it might be worthwhile to put your minds at rest. Big hugs to you both. These are difficult times. 🤗

    1. AlexAlex May 22, 2020 at 1:43 pm

      Thank you, Paula, it’s good to hear it from others because I know it can sound callous, but as someone who has a heart condition, and had a brain fart back in 2016, I’m in the ‘at risk’ category right now.

      And yes, you do what you can when someone needs help, even if it is only to stand with them, as others do the necessary, we couldn’t do any less, regardless of the situation. And I know you know this all too well, with all that you and your partner have gone through too, these last couple of years. So again, thank you for your kind words.

      We did call the Health Line, and got advice and it was what we thought anyway. But at least they registered our names as having possibly been in a ‘contact’ situation. This is as much for them, as it is for our peace of mind.

      Now we wait.

  4. Avatarbooksdogsandcats May 22, 2020 at 11:54 am

    Really Alexandra,a stroke is so much better than covid-19??? Oh girl, come back to planet Common Sense…Your partner reacted in the only way any decent human ought to react. Bless her/ him😊

    1. AlexAlex May 22, 2020 at 12:20 pm

      Firmly on planet Earth, believe me. And just discussing my thoughts and feelings, and yes, I know they did the right thing. But knowing that doesn’t negative the worry and fear, all the same.

  5. AvatarMargot Kinberg May 22, 2020 at 11:37 am

    What a scary situation! I hope you and your partner are not at real risk, and will test negative. Your neighbour is lucky to have you there.

    1. AlexAlex May 22, 2020 at 11:40 am

      I know, Margot. It’s worrisome, and my partner has said they will call 811 Info Sante here, at lunchtime, and ask advice. Which is all we can do really, at this point. We just need to be sensible and keep to ourselves for a couple of weeks till we see if everything is, indeed, okay for us. Or hope the lady lets us know.

      And yes, the woman has a phone, but I think she was genuinely terrified, and didn’t know what to do. So of course, we helped, it’s what you do.

Comments are closed.